Friday, March 26, 2010

Effective UI: The Art of Building Great User Experience in Software

Read this book, but first make sure it's the book you think it is!

I dug this book because I wanted to explore the headspace, perspective, context and helpful flows that lend themselves to building the right experience for the right users.

Just like the designers, developers, architects and business-heads I work with, my job includes working to ensure the right people are on board with the best approaches and the best solutions. For me, this book took a super-realistic approach towards the challenges and opportunities that come with driving to get the right UX solutions.

It's not crazy to say that building software that performs is really difficult. That said, designing and building software that performs and offers the right experience comes with a whole different level of difficulty (it's way harder). This book definitely isn't a step-by-step manual - there's no 2+2=4 kind of formula for good UX.

The way I see it, there are enough "how-to" books out there if I wanted to learn more about building software that performs. There are however very few books that offer insight into successful approach and philosophy behind setting the business/design/development table for building the right experience for the right users - this is one of those rare books. I found helpful (and still find it helpful) because I care about UX and not just impressive tech and performance.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails