Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Twitter App for NetBeans

Ok, I know that there are already thousands of Twitter apps out there on the internet, but as self-respecting hacker and Engineer, I thought I would give it another quick jab and knock up one more app just for kick :)

So, this evening, I quickly out together a small proof-of-concept app that has been running riot in my head for sometime. This app plugs directly into NetBeans. Although it works quite well, it lacks most of the bells and whistles you'd expect in a fully fledge desktop version. Actually, what this small app does is nothing more than allow you to send tweets, see your timeline and retweet. Just like the web version, you will have to manually copy/paste the tweet and add the 'RT' for your retweets.

The features that are not implemented are notifications - there's no way of knowing when you have a @replies, DM works just like a normal tweet so that does not need implementing. Another feature currently missing is the picture that identifies each of people you are following. What you currently get is just their userIDs and updates.

In the coming days and weeks, I will try and implement the rest of the missing features above; and clean up the code.

Finally, as some of the features rely on some third party library, I will have to re write it to ensure that it uses on the standard Java API. Only then will I be ready to put it on the world stage. In the meantime, if you want to take it for a spin and don't mind letting it all hangout, then holla at me :)

That's it for now. Please remember to be nice, be good, love one another, code everyday and God bless Marcus Garvey!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails