Thursday, September 03, 2009

Created new sub-domain for my Utility Files

With the free time I have this week(which I rarely get), I thought I would use the time to tidy up my computer by moving a few files and documents and filing them away beautifully. So this morning, I decided to move all my files scattered around my computer to one sub-domain making it much easier to locate and work with.

Before I start on a project, I normally try things out to see how it plays out before fully implementing it. Sometimes, if not most of the times, the prototype normally end up becoming the core of the application. But in some cases, I just abandon it for something more polished. This normally results in half completed hacks around - and funnily enough I find myself coming back for inspiration from those files.

Over the years, I have accumulated many of such utility programs in half a dozen programming languages from Perl to Python, from Java to Ruby. Moving them to a sub-domain would mean that I can easily move into any relevant folder for a hack I've knocked together before.

Following the coding convention we use at work, I've called it Garage, as the name suggests is where we carry out everything from car repairs to DIY. So, this appropriately describes what my intention is with the sub-domain.

I would be happy to know how and where you maintain all the little hacks you accumulated over the years. If you have a suggestion or comments, please leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails