Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally – Latest Generation

My wife has the Sony touch ereader, but I looked long and hard at the various options and settled on the Amazon kindle DX. While I'm a little upset (As I'm sure many are) about having just missed out on the newer version, the kindle is proving to be an excellent choice over the Sony. The biggest being the 3G roaming, coupled with the ever lethal Amazon one-click. The screen is absolutely gorgeous, and one comment I got was "Why can't all displays be like this!?"

The keyboard is not as intrusive as I first thought it might be, the device is quite light (like a mid-sized hard-back) and the screen is amazing in bright, full-on, sunlight. Battery life is ok, but even better with the 3G turned off. The new MP3 player is a really good addition, but definitely needs work, along with the experimental browser. For me though, being able to cart around Peter F. Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy in a device that weighs less than the paper-back version of the first book is just great.

I got the leather cover. Ironically this weighs more than the kindle does, and I end up removing the kindle from the cover to read, because it's lighter. made the mistake of getting the EU power adapter rather than the UK power adapter, but that was my fault at the store.

To be honest, I love my kindle. It's corny, and kitsch, but true. It was expensive, but you get what you pay for and the free international 3G is definitely worth it. I've done more reading recently than I have done in a long time. My only real gripe is not being able to download books outside the US that don't have rights. I really wanted Niven and Barnes's "Dream Park" but I can't download it without a US address. :( There's no warning until you attempt to purchase it through the kindle store. In which there could be more books made available. Preferably more out-of-print books.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails