Friday, July 02, 2010

Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally – Latest Generation

I bought this after using a glossy screen MacBook Pro for reading for about a year, which resulted in me getting bigger prescription glasses. I was very delighted to hear about Kindle , apparently purpose built to not put a strain on the eyes.

After using Kindle DX for 2 months (daily reading) I must say it's not quite what I expected.

The screen doesn't reflect much light, but you still have to consider the angle if you want to enjoy a comfortable reading. The backlighting is way too dark. In fact, I think there is no backlighting on this device. A normal paper (book, newspaper, magazine) is far more visible than the Kindle under the same lighting conditions.

It requires one of those attached lights for consistent use, which I assume will considerably shorten its battery life.

The screen is quite sensitive. I didn't get a screen protector, nor a cover for the device, but I highly recommend them (especially the cover).

The global wi-fi works great even at the edge of its declared coverage area (I've used it in Eastern Europe) but it's only available for use within the Amazon store.

Battery life is also great. I recharged it three times in two months of daily reading (2 - 4 hours every day), although you must shut off the wi-fi to get the most of it.

The size of the screen is perfect, and so is its weight, even if you feel like resting your arms after a full hour of holding it up for a good reading position.

The ease of use is a five star, even if the response time of the device is very slow (only compared to a notebook), and I understand efforts have been made to improve this. It's not something you can't get used to, but it does feel strange after using a laptop all day long.

As I travel a lot and I do like to read just as much, this product is a valuable asset by replacing a couple of dozen pounds in my suitcase. But because of the weak lighting it will probably be used half the time it was intended to.

I still wouldn't buy a iPad for the same money, although many would not agree, but this device need more work put into before it becomes what it is meant to. So, I would say, for a second version, it's not bad, but it's overpriced.
I recommend it for reading only with an attached light.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Awesome review! I was considering buying an eBook reader, and the DX is on the top of my list.

When you say "The global wi-fi works great even at the edge of its declared coverage area", are you talking about the 3G? Because I'm pretty sure that the DX can connect to any wifi network, regardless of where in the world you are.

Again, great review, and thanks for the comment on my blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails