Monday, March 08, 2010

Beats by Dr. Dre Tour High-Resolution In-Ear Headphones from Monster

My wife purchased these VOIP Headphones as a Valentine's Day gift for me. I tried to dissuade her from buying them. I had some reservations about the price initially. I was having a hard time justifying an earphone purchase of $150, as I'm sure most of you do.

Back in March of 2009 I purchased V-Moda Vibe Earbuds (Gunmetal Black) for $50 thinking they'd be awesome! Starting out the V-Modas sounded ok, but after 6 months of gym use and a kink in the wire (that later ripped) they died. So I literally had a 120GB iPod not being used due to my loathing of the provided earbuds from Apple. After that experience I'm sure you can understand my apprehension.

I'm glad to tell you that my wife didn't listen to me this time! These sound really good! The bass absolutely bumps! I tested them out with: I Like the Way You Move by Outkast, Timebomb by Beck, A Milli by Lil Wayne, & Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim. The bass line in rock songs is brought through beautifully! I can go full blast on these, and there is not a single bit of distortion. I may have to tweak the EQ on my iPod so there is a little more warmth on acoustic songs (i.e. City and Colour & the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds acoustic stuff). I listen to most of these songs with the iPods EQ set at Classical. I'm also thrilled that it also works great at a VOIP Headphones as well.

I've read some reviews about the lack of comfort, but I found no problems. Yes, they do go fairly far into your ear canal, but the earbuds don't hurt me at all. It will take some trial and error finding the right pair or combination. In fact, it took me a few days of trying the smallest mushroom shaped, the small tree shaped, and the large tree shaped. I found the best seal with the large tree earbuds. Taking off the earbud from the actual speaker arm can be a chore. These earbuds fit snuggly, and made me a little nervous when removing them. But once you find the right ones I doubt you'll take them off other than for cleaning.

The packaging for these earphones is pretty slick! The no-tangle cable is a delight! I have thrown the cable into the provided semi-hard case, and they come out tangle free every time. These look like no other earphones around, from the flat cable, the bright red, and b's on the drivers.

These are attention getters! And they deserve the attention for not only their looks but their sound too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails