Monday, May 10, 2010

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 10)

This review doesn't contain any spoilers as the Amazon description of the book says it all.

Like many readers stated before, this is a watered down version of the previous books. If you just read a one page summary of the book and then read the last 50 or so pages, it has the same effect. The questions from previous books get barely answered, and new questions are introduced. The characters have lost their characteristics, what makes them who they are and the pace doesn't come near to the previous books. A reviewer here has said something along the lines, if you are expecting Jane Austin, go read Jane Austin. I wasn't expecting Jane Austin. I was just expecting another Sookie Stackhouse book and that's why I am so disappointed. Because this doesn't feel like one.

I am not a writer and I cannot claim that I know how writing supposed to work. I do respect any writer for their craft but as a reader I reserve the right to follow the writers whose stories I come to like and I do reserve the right to expect a certain level of writing from them.

I have read somewhere after I have read the book, that Charlaine Harris, got an additional 3 books deal for the series and then it all clicked. This is exactly what it feels like. CH has planned for a certain amount of booked-series, then she got the additional 3 books deal and this book, instead of being the final and all concluding book was used to introduce further plot lines for the next few books to come.

IMO this is disrespectful towards the reader. It makes me angry because I paid for the hardcover version and I didn't get my moneys worth. I will end the series, just to conclude it for myself, which is obviously the publisher and the writer are counting on, and they will get their money, but I don't intend to read any other books by Charlaine Harris. I am disappointed in this book and more importantly I am disappointed in Charlaine Harris.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails