Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

I am new to photography and wanted a better lens for my latest XSI because the kit lens performance wasn't any better than my Canon point-and-shoot.

I spent a good deal of time reading reviews of lenses and it came down to the Cannon $100 F1.8 or the $350 F1.4. Finally I selected the F1.8 and when I received it I took 8 or 10 pictures and they were just great, better than I expected. So naturally, I immediately ordered the F1.4 figuring that it must be better yet. A few days later I had both lenses in my hands and I started taking lots of pictures with one and then the other and then compared them side by side on my big 24" computer monitor. Zoomed in and out matching color, focus sharpness, and bokeh (background blur).

Many of the F1.8 were sharper than the F1.4 but the F1.4 was a little better in indoor low light and of course bokeh. My conclusion was that they were about the same in overall picture quality but the F1.4 had much higher quality construction and the focus motor was much smoother and less noisy than the F1.8.

If you can afford the extra money get the F1.4. However, if you just can't spend that much you will be very happy with the F1.8. Or, you can do what I did and by them both.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails