Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My new Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 12.1 Camera

I pre-ordered this Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 12.1 camera, so I paid full price. I see that it has now dropped to $379 or so.
I would rate the camera a great value at list price, so it is a super-great value at the price you can now get it for!

I just spent two weeks in Portugal and Spain. I took hundreds of pictures -- inside cathedrals, outside of scenics and old castles, night shots, portraits, high dynamic range bracket shots, etc etc. This camera allowed me to get the best pictures I've ever taken, and I've been using SLR's since I got a Pentax Spotmatic in the 70s. The touch-screen interface, coupled with the easy-to-use and well thought out physical buttons, made adapting to the situation (for instance, underexposing a bit to get the proper mood in a cathedral's sanctuary)a breeze.

It reacts very quickly, so I didn't miss any opportunity shots. The image quality (I shoot RAW) is superb. If left on P mode or IA mode, the decisions it makes almost always result in the shot I want, and if I want to tweak it a bit (as mentioned above), it's quick and easy to do.

Both the LCD and the viewfinder are extremely bright. I typically use the viewfinder (old habit, maybe) and use the LCD for its touch screen capabilities, either to quickly change settings or to touch where I want the focus point to be. That "focus and shoot" option on the LCD is a hoot!

Highly recommended.

(For what it's worth, I also have a Lumix DMC-LX5, which is a great "little brother" companion to this camera. It also took terrific shots on our trip.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails